Any vegetables of your choice. The more dense selections will require that you add a little water to create a brine
Sprinkled with Sea Salt or Ume Plum Vinegar
Garnish with Cilantro, Parsley, or Dill
Press between to weighted plates for at least 10 minutes. Taste and rinse if too salty.
Hearty Split Pea Soup
Stove top (Prep time 10 min, cooking time 2 hours)
1. Rinse and sort Split Peas (Sort for stones)
2. Rinse and sort Barley (Sort for stones)
3. Wash both together well, twice until water runs clear
4. Place in soup pot. Add 7 Cups of Water. Bring to a boil.
5. Skim residue off the top, Reduce to a Simmer and add a 1 inch piece of Kombu, Cover and continue cooking for 1 hour
6. While the peas and barley are cooking prep your vegetables
1 large Red Onion Chopped
3 Carrots Chunked
3 Stalks of Celery Chunked
4 Cloves of Garlic Chopped Fine
1 Large Sweet Potato Peeled and Chunked
1 Tbls Olive Oil
7. Saute Onions, Celery and Garlic until Onions are translucent. Add carrots and Sweet Potatoes
8. Add Spices
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Dried Basil
1 1/2 tsp of Salt
1 Bay Leaf
Add all to soup pot and continue cooking for 30 – 40 minutes. Enjoy!
Pressure cooker version.
Saute Onions, Celery, and Garlic until onions are translucent.
Add Sweet Potatos and Carrots
Add Split Peas and Barley
Add 7 Cups of Water
Lock the Lid in Place
Bring the Pressure Cooker up to Pressure
Reduce heat to Low. Place a Flame Deflector under the pot
Set your timer for 10 minutes
Release with Quick release method running pressure cooker under cold water until pressure comes all the way down
Open lid away from you
Add 1 1/2 tsp of Salt
Adjust seasonings and garnish with Dill, Cilantro, Parsley, Toasted Bread Crumbs, Barleys Highest Lignan Flax Oil